Monday, December 16, 2013

Sonnet: Found Homecoming Date

I found a date:
Reverend Matteo Gribbly I.
I never should have doubted fate,
But I guess I was cursed.

He didn't pick me up
Or pull out my chair
"You look handsome, Matt." "Yup."
He didn't even compliment my hair.

We went to dinner at P.F. Chang's.
It was a delicious meal
Ruined with his backhanded pangs
That felt all too real.

I tried not to argue;
I tried to have a good time.
He just stood there like a statue
As I danced, but it was fine.

As we drove to the after party,
Rain was the only sound that could be heard.
Laughter was not hearty.
Neither uttered a single word.

Getting out of the car
Was the last time I saw him.
He could have been near or far,
But I certainly was not grim.

I may have found a date,
But it wasn't what I expected.
The importance of a good mate
Is never to be neglected.

No comments:

Post a Comment