Friday, October 19, 2012

College Essay: An Inspiration


Growing up as an only child, I wasn’t able to be influenced by any siblings, so naturally I clung to my older cousins. All of the cousins are funny, smart, and compassionate, but Brian and I had a special connection.

            Brian was the stereotypical jock in high school: popular, good looking, funny, outgoing, and not too concerned with grades. After being waitlisted at Michigan State University, he realized how important grades really were. He attended MSU and really buckled down. He worked hard and was able to graduate with a 4.0. After that, he attended MSU’s School of Education, and by continuing to work hard, he graduated at the top of his class and spoke at the graduation ceremony. Brian’s outstanding reputation got him a call from his Alma Mater, and my high school, Divine Child! They asked him to come in for an interview, and wrote up a contract only six days later. Throughout all of this, Brian has been able to maintain strong relationships with his family and friends.

            When I was little, I always wanted to be like Brian – to eat the same food as him, to wear the same colors as him, to be in the same team as him, to like the same WWE wrestlers as him, to listen to the same music as him; the list can go on and on. But that influence has grown so much deeper since what it was when we were kids. Now I want to be like him in the sense of his compassion, leadership, patience, levelheadedness, and brilliance.

            Recently, Brian has been encouraging me to do my best and not waste any opportunities. I really admire how he’s grown as a person and hope that someday I can say the same for myself. Brian has been there for me through it all, whether it’s fights with my parents, boy problems, volleyball struggles, or school issues. He has always encouraged me to follow my heart and do what makes me happy. His sound advice has gotten me through more than I can say. I hope that someday I can influence someone in the way that he has influenced me.

No comments:

Post a Comment