Friday, October 19, 2012

Persuasive Essay: Dear Kara, read The Shack.


Dear Kara,

Over the past year, I know that we have both gone through a lot in our lives – sad, as well as happy, times. In August and September I started reading The Shack. My grandma lent it to me because she could tell that I needed a little bit of guidance. I hope that it can do the same for you. It’s a really good book with an equally good and unique message.

The story starts off talking about the “Great Sadness.” Now, I’m not going to tell you what exactly that means, but just make sure you have some tissues ready for a tear-jerking chapter four. Mack, the main character, is at a loss when it comes to believing in God. He has always known that a god existed, but he wasn’t sure what that precisely meant. His wife, Nan, is a true faithful. She is certain that God is with us through our joyous and sorrowful moments. Mack, on the other hand, isn’t quite so convinced. If God is always with us, then where was He during the “Great Sadness;” where was he when his father was beating him? This question, which frequently appears in Mack’s (also known as the narrator) thoughts, is very stimulating. As the story progresses, Mack finds himself looking for God in the last place he ever wanted to be: The Shack – the place where the “Great Sadness” occurred. While he is there, he finds himself face-to-face with the Trinity. God presents himself as a large, rotund black woman full of laughter and love – the ultimate “mother” image, Jesus as a laid-back and loving carpenter, and the Holy Spirit as a petite, almost transparent Asian woman exploding with energy. Again, I don’t want to give too much away, but these images – other than Jesus’s – are not common. God as a woman, and an African American, no less?  The Holy Spirit as an Oriental, having a body – not just a tongue of fire or a drop of water? As different as these images may be, I find them comforting. Thinking that God is as punishing and wrathful as the Bible portrays is rather intimidating. The Shack depicts Him as a compassionate and forgiving being. That is the kind of God I want to believe in. This book offers perfect images for the Trinity – ones of kindness and understanding, ones that are reassuring.

This book offers suggestions for the tough questions about faith, like where was God when I needed him?  Well, He was there the whole time. We might not have been able to see Him, but every tear we cried, He cried with us. I don’t know if you’ve ever heard this before, but once a man described life as a walk on the beach. He said that during his happy moments there were always two sets of footprints – his and God’s – but when he was going through difficult times, he only found one set of footprints. When the man was faced with God in Heaven, he asked where He had been during his tragedies – why he was always alone? God answered his inquiry by saying, “Those were my footprints, not yours; I carried you through your hard times because you weren’t strong enough to walk.” I think this book really portrays that image of a protecting and loving God. He is always there, especially when we don’t see him.

As you know, I had a really rough summer with my dad. I felt so alone and scared. I was constantly praying that things might get better, but I felt like they never would. I honestly felt abandoned – that God had forgotten about me. When my Grandma gave me this book, it completely changed my perspective. I started looking at things differently and realized that God really is everywhere. He’s like oxygen – you can’t see Him, but you know He’s there because without Him you’d be dead.

So, don’t give up, Kara. Things will get better. Just know that you’re not alone. God will always be there for you, you just have to trust that in the end things will work themselves out the way He intended them.

No comments:

Post a Comment