Saturday, October 20, 2012

Comparative Essay: How I Am Stuffed


            In Zora Neale Hurston’s narrative essay, she illustrates an image of the Great Stuffer of Bags. He is the one responsible for making each bag unique and individual (this analogy obviously represents God making people in their own distinct way). She describes the contents of her brown bag as “a first-water diamond, an empty spool, bits of broken glass, lengths of string, a key to a door long since crumbled away, a rusty knife-blade, old shoes saved for a road that never was and never will be, a nail bent under the weight of things too heavy for any nail, [and] a dried flower or two still a little fragrant”. Using Hurston’s reasoning, I think that I am a worn-leather shoulder-bag that has gone through many rough years, but is still here. Inside, one might find the keys to an old 2001 Hyundai, a small, laminated card that gives the practice and tournament times of A2 Volleyball Club, a box of new graphite pencils, an iPod filled with songs by Bon Iver and Mumford and Sons, an old, tattered family picture, a new crisp photo of my three closest friends, and bits of broken glass glued back together. Each one of the objects has a different meaning. The car keys represent both hard work and freedom. The laminated card signifies how much volleyball dominates my life with practice every week and tournaments nearly every weekend. The pencils show my new-found love for drawing. The iPod expresses my admiration and need of music. The family photo exemplifies my rocky family history, but the crisp photo of my friends illustrates the newer, more accepting family I have recently found. Finally, the mended glass represents how I have broken down so many times, but continue to repair myself and the situation. Individually, these objects are worthless, but together they are priceless – making me who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment