Saturday, October 20, 2012

College Essay


My mom always told me that I would never have a car - it was too expensive, too much responsibility. Naturally, being the stubborn girl that I am, I proved her wrong. At the age of 14, going into my first year of high school, I took a job as a receptionist at Dearborn Cardiology. I was the youngest employee by at least 10 years, so I had to prove myself. I had to be more organized, friendlier, more responsible, and harder working than my coworkers. For the first summer, I worked two days a week from 8am-3pm. It was a light work schedule, and when I added up my total earnings, I realized it would not be enough for a car by my Sweet 16. I bumped up my hours to a full week the following summer, working full time from 8am-5pm. It was a long day, and I had to give up a lot of social time, but it was worth it. At sixteen, I was able to buy my $4500, 2001 Hyundai XG 300. I do not think I have ever loved something so much, or been more proud of myself. I set a goal, and I achieved it.

            This experience taught me to be hard working and determined. I stayed focused, and was able to make more than enough money to pay for a car, its gas, and insurance. Yes, the satisfaction of proving my mom wrong felt good, but the responsibility and achievement felt so much better. I learned a lot about myself, including the fact that I like being accountable; busyness and organization are a comfort to me. At MSU, I will use these traits as a student to improve the community and richness of the school. Although MSU has a large community, I will thrive due to my independence and ability to self-serve ultimately benefiting the university. I aspire to be a successful special education teacher, and to further MSU’s reputation as a nationally ranked college for education.

No comments:

Post a Comment